What Do You Want To Write?
Extract: Want To Be A Writer
Ok we have freed up your creative process but what is your reasons for writing and what basic types of creative writing would be best for you. Why do you want to write? What do you want to write? These are the questions we need to answer.
You’re taking a course on creative writing, so it seems you want to be a writer . The question is, why? There are lots of different reasons for wanting to bea writer.
Here are just a few of them.
- Do you just love creating stories and writing them down?
- Maybe you want to earn some extra income from your writing.
- Would you like to be a full-time, professional writer?
- Do you have a story (or more) you are bursting to tell?
- Is there something important you want to say, and you think creative writing is the best way to express it?
- Were you good at writing at school, and would like to develop that talent?
- Have you tried selling a story or novel and been disappointed?
- Perhaps you’d like to be famous, like J.K. Rowling or Stephen King.
- You feel a bit powerless in real life, so you’d like to create your own world.
- You want to teach a moral or an idea, and you think coating the pill with fiction will make it more palatable.
No matter which of these reasons may be yours, you can be certain of one thing; you share it with hundreds (if not thousands) of others. Creative Writing is intended to help you to become a better and more confident writer. It may also help you on your way to becoming a professional, and so you will find some pointers which have more to do with sale ability than creativity. However, the main thrust will be towards developing skill and confidence….